In December 2009, the County Board of Supervisors voted to raise property taxes in Coconino County by 18.5%. No opportunity for public input was afforded nor was citizens of the county permitted a vote on the issue.
On March 15, 2011 Miami-Dade County citizens recalled their mayor, Carlos Alvarez. Mr. Alvarez raised property taxes for two-fifths of the county’s homeowners, by an average of 13%.
The time has come in preparations for the 2012 elections to start monitoring the actions of the Coconino County Board of Supervisors (CCBS). New blood on the Board is needed. The actions reflected below are gleaned from past meeting minutes of the CCBS. We continually hear from the CCBS that if we feel we know better we could sit with them and identify areas of the County budget needing trimming. In light of unilaterally raising our property taxes by 18.5% does it surprise you these motions pass unanimously without discussions with such consistency? Do you think there was margin for voting some of these down or at least partially fund? If so, it’s time to plan for replacements in 2012.
- Approval of Community Initiative Funding from District 3 – $3,000; District 4 – $1,000 to Bread for the Journey of Flagstaff to assist with expenses associated with the creation of an online atlas of natural & cultural resources in the Flagstaff Area
- Approval of Amendment #4 between UniSource Energy Services and Coconino County Community Services, 2008 Low Income Appliance and Repair Program Services Agreement, to increase funding for low income weatherization for 2011 by $10,161 for a total of $25,500 and extend the term to December 31, 2011
- Approval of Contract #11-CSG-11-1365-01 with the Governor’s Office for Children, Youth and Families for the provision of support for the expansion of the community prevention program for period of January 1, 2011, through December 31, 2011, in the amount of $80,000.
- Approval of payment of $31,320 to Ottawa University for graduate-level content training for 71 Intel math teachers and 1 content literacy teacher.
- Approval of sole source purchase of Check Scanning System (hardware and software) from Wausau Financial Systems for no more than $85,000.
- Award Request for Proposal (RFP) 2011-101 Intensive Outpatient Treatment Services through DUI/Drug Court and enter into a contract with Northern AZ Substance Abuse Services (NASAS) in an amount estimated to be no more than $85,000 per year.
- Approval of Contract No. HG861228, Amendment #4 between ADHS and the Coconino County Public Health Services District (CCPHSD) to provide teen pregnancy prevention services for calendar year 2011 in the amount of $125,000.
- Approval of 2011 Site Mentor Agreement with the NAU Civic Service Institute, Youth in Action AmeriCorps Program for the period October 1, 2010, to December 31, 2011, in the amount of $3,600 to provide health education aide service.
- Approval of Amendment No. 1 to the Independent Contractor Agreement with the Arizona Community Action Association for energy assistance with SemStream Arizona Propane for low income residents in the amount of $2,000 for FY11.
- Approval of additional award of Arizona Criminal Justice Commission (ACJC) Crime Victim Compensation Funds and expenditures in the total amount of $27,249.19 from the State Victim of Crime Act Funds (VOCA).
- Approval of Contract #YH08-0080-03 Amendment #2 to the Intergovernmental Agreement with Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System (AHCCCS) to extend the contract through 01/19/12 and update the administrative costs to provide health care for qualified inmates of the detention facility in the annual estimate of $40,000.
- Approval of Intergovernmental Agreement HG161081 with ADHS for the period January 1, 2011, to December 31, 2011, in the amount of $150,177 for the provision of community health services, including injury prevention and pre-conception care.
- Approval of funds transfer from Northern Arizona Street Crimes Task Force, “METRO” unit, Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organization (RICO) to the Coconino County Sheriff’s Office in the amount of $79,240 to implement the Air Operations Provisional Program to include a temporary on call Air Operations Program Manager.
- Approval of an Amendment to an Intergovernmental Agreement (IGA) among the Arizona Supreme Court through the Administrative Office of Courts (AOC), the Coconino County Board of Supervisors through the County School Superintendent, and the Coconino County Superior Court through the Juvenile Court to provide Title funds for supplemental education programs at the juvenile detention education program for the period of July 1, 2010, through June 30, 2011, in the amount of $32,769.98.
- Approval of Contract # ADES10-002367, Unit Release Order #1, with the Arizona Department of Economic Security for the period January 1, 2011, to December 31, 2011, in the amount of $390,600 to provide Healthy Families home visiting services
- Approval of the budget amendment to transfer funds from Northern Arizona Street Crimes Task Force, “METRO” unit, Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organization (RICO) to the Coconino County Sheriff’s Office in the amount of $17,118.29 to purchase a 2006 Nissan Xterra to utilize in undercover narcotics missions.
- Approval of Intergovernmental Agreement (IGA) First Extension with the Page Unified School District for the period October 1, 2010, to June 30, 2011, in the amount of $1,750 to provide tobacco education services
- Approval of stipend payments with the Arizona Living Well Institute for the period January 1, 2011, to June 30, 2011, in the amount of $1,330 to provide tobacco education and chronic disease prevention services.
- Approval of Intergovernmental Agreement #JPA 10-184I with ADOT for the period October 1, 2010, to September 30, 2013, in the amount of $117,000 for the provision of Safe Routes to School education services.